Monday 3 December 2012

Preparing for the Mud Man trail run

Technically, it's expected to be 'sodding freezing' this Saturday and for some reason I had a knee jerk reaction and I've signed myself up for a Mud Man 12km trail run. They have duathlons on at the same time too, but for now, a jog in the woods is all I need.

Pirbright, hell on an ice cube

Having spent some time in the Army I've familiarised myself with the ups and downs of the Army Training Centre at Pirbright. And I can certify, when the weather is cold and wet and you are too, it's a horrible place to be. But it's also a place that can be conquered!

Here's the course. Looks pretty easy, but every few hundred metres there's a 50 metre hill to get over. The hard part though is that it's slippery and there's puddles everywhere and then there's the sand that gets in your boots and kit. Not to mention the wind which funnels along the trail roads. All in all it's a drill sargeants idea of heaven.

At least this time I won't be running it with a pack and rifle!

Preparing for the trail run

It's only 12km, but I'm paying for this and I want to enjoy it at least. So kit choices are crucial.

It's just so happened that I've just bought myself some new running gear. Sports Direct clobber, which is cheap and cheerful, but whilst I don't expect it to last, I will expect it to keep me warm(er).

Kit list

This is what my kit list will look like for the day.
  • Long sleeve t-shirt
  • Vest
  • Thermal running tights (3/4 length)
  • Over-shorts
  • Long socks (compression)
  • Trail trainers
  • Gloves and hat (optional)
  • Talc (for putting in socks)
  • Vaseline for lips, hands and nipple
  • First aid kit
  • Compeed blister plasters
  • Water-proof jacket

Preperation - don't forget about your feet

Apart from trying to keep warm before the off, my feet will be the items I'll be trying to look after the most. I may even apply vaseline to my toes before I go and then tape up my heels and soles too. This is what I've done many a time whilst running this course in boots and although trainers have more give, you're still just as likely to get blisters and sprains etc.

After the event; eat, drink and be merry!

It's important to ensure you can get warm quickly and that you can get some food down your neck. I'll be bringing lots of water, a few flapjacks and a chicken sandwich (on brown bread like a good boy).

No comments:

Post a Comment