Tuesday 2 July 2013

Fitting a Bushnell Eccentric Bottom Bracket

It's easier than you think. Firstly you're recommended to use grease, which other manufacturers say not to. Secondly, the design needs just a 4mm allen key and ideally a cone pin spanner to adjust (although other allen keys would do the trick too).

How to install a Bushnell EBB


Here are the instructions on how to install a Bushnell Eccentric Bottom Bracket right from the manufacturers website.

Why is grease important?


Personally, I used lots of high quality grease. And trust me, the grease was everywhere. My personal favourite grease (how sad, right?) and the one I've been using for over 10 years is the Exus E-G01 grease. It's really good stuff.

So the grease is really helpful because it allows the EBB to move around freely when you're adjusting it. Need to move a smidgen? Well the grease helps the EBB glide into place. It does work against you, but you just need to ensure you hold it once it's in the right place. I was a little surprised that the EBB moved in and out of the shell, but that's more to do with the beauty of the way it expands and contracts rather than a poor fit in the frame. Do it up a little bit to reduce the ease at which it can fall out.

Overall it took me 15 minutes to fit the EBB and that included removing the old one too.

Would I recommend it?


Definitely. Pricey for what it is, I got mine for £107.99 from Fat Birds, but it really was easy to fit, worked perfectly and I've had no complaints from it even thought my first ride was a tough 40 miler over 5,400 feet of climbing. Well chuffed with it.

Do note that there are two versions of the Bushnell. I seem to have paid for the expensive one, but got the cheaper and heavier one. They're the same design, just one's lighter than the other. Black is the good one, silver is the cheaper one.

No comments:

Post a Comment