Wednesday 2 January 2019

Thoughts and tips on volunteering at an event - North Downs Way 100 2018

Helping others achieve their goal, however slight your effort or their recognition, is incredibly satisfying and answers a very human need to be part of something greater than yourself.

For me, that special feeling of being connected to a social group is what makes the decision to give time, diesel and a nights rough sleep to volunteer at the North Downs Way 100.

Here are my top tips for volunteering


  1. Lose the ego - it's not about you or your experiences, it's about theirs
  2. The customer is always right - even if someone gets angry, you signed up to help them, so get on with the job and chin-up
  3. Prepare yourself for the day - don't be the volunteer who needs another volunteer to support them because you left your jacket, trainers, sun lotion or car keys somewhere else
  4. Don't be a dick - the rule to rule them all. Be present, competent, keen and useful (or funny), but don't let yourself be bossy, rude, stubborn or selfish
  5. Know the route around you (before and after) - you'll get a ton of questions, like 'when's the next check-point', and 'are the hills done?', or my favourite 'where can I pee in privacy?'
  6. Stay committed - expect to be at the check-point for longer than you signed-up for, and don't leave early
If you can do all of that, then I think you'll be rewarded with a great day out. You'll have given more than you could ever imagine, affected the event for hundreds of people and you will live on in the memories of those people you helped when they needed you the most. - for the 100, there's a lot of thinking time to be had and a kind gesture, eagerness or immediate support will stick with them through the miles.

Further thought

It also helps that I've been where they are. I've run the NDW100 twice. I've felt the trepidation of the unknown and the harsh conditions. I've gone white in moments of panic as to whether I've forgotten something. I've had tears of frustration, relief and of happiness as I've ran, walked and trudged my way around the stunning route. I've been there. I've felt what they will be feeling and it only makes my connection to them and their goals all the more real and worthy.

If you've not yet volunteered for an event, then I thoroughly encourage you think about doing so; especially with the Centurion Volunteer Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment