Wednesday 12 June 2024

5 things I learned at the Centurion Running Wendover Woods 50k

It was way hotter than expected

It was way hotter than expected

 Having done the 50 mile version there wasn't much for me to learn, or so I thought

  1. James Elson offered to "get everyone off" at the start, which was new

  2. Even though the day hadn't been all that warm, the temperature in the cloud-covered evening was far hotter than expected. If I was running the event again I'd start in a vest, and I certainly wouldn't have brought my merino buff

  3. I usually pack some back-up energy gels for when things are getting tough, but I really shouldn't have bothered - there's no need for any additional 'what-if' items. If you really want them, add them to the drop bag

  4. Mud trainers were a god-send. If I'd attempted them in my regular Summer trail trainers, I'd have quit. There's plenty of really loose mud - and don't hope that a Summers day will dry it all out

  5. It's a bacon sarnie at the end, not hotdogs. I was crushed.
The Wendover Woods 50k in 2021 was run in the Summer alongside the Wendover 100.

Would I run the Wendover Woods 50k again? Yeah, I think so. As a Summer run, and I'm finding that I'm more of a warm weather runner than ever before, it's a great evening out. Wonderful crew, organisation, marking, course, and a decent medal too. But those hills may make you regret your decision.


Did I mention that it was hot? #SteamRising

Did I mention that it was hot? #SteamRising



No comments:

Post a Comment